In the Car
That moment when you are in the car and your 7-year old is being a complete bear....you slam on the breaks and pull over....
Did that the other day. I hated it. I felt terrible. But I got through to her. My daughter insisted that she pick out music on my phone to play on the way to my parents house. I said "no" -- usually, I say "yes."
She threw a complete tantrum - feet kicking my seat, screaming at me, etc. I stayed calm and told her we were going to turn right around and go back home if she didn't stop....she didn't stop....instead of turning around, I slammed on the breaks (making sure nobody was behind me) and pulled over. Unbuckled, turned around and jacked her up!
I explained in a very loud voice how I did not appreciate her behavior, how she knew better to not act that way and she is not always going to get everything she asks for. Pretty sure I scared the crap out of her which is unusual because typically when she is being a smartass at home and I jack her up, she just sits there with a shit-eating grin on her face.
I knew I shook her up because she started crying...that never happens either. I felt horrible inside that I lashed out that way but at the same time she got it. She fully understood why I did what I did. I talked with her once we got to my parents to make sure of it and to make sure we were on a good page.
My responsibility is a parent is first to be a parent and show my girls how to be respectful people and second is to be their best friend. I don't have to do this sort of thing often but I when I do it is typically far and few between.
~Trying to Live the American Dream~
Comments
Post a Comment